Kpopeurope’s exclusive interview with Jay Park!

Recently, Kpopeurope was given a golden opportunity to interview Jay Park; one of the most popular and talented solo artists in Korea who will soon embark on his very first European Concert Tour.

Jay will kick off his first concert in London, the United Kingdom on September 21st (Sat) and move to Amsterdam and Berlin for the rest of the concerts scheduled on September 24th (Tues) and 28th (Sat). His final stage will take place in Paris, France, together with Dok2 and the PREPIX Crew at Dock Pullman on the 26th of October.

The news about Jay’s concerts is spreading fast, and fans are already getting super excited to meet this multi-talented artist. To get some sneak peeks into some of these exciting moments to come, Kpopeurope collected several questions from fans and Kpopeurope readers before preparing our exclusive interview with Jay. Without any exaggeration, we were flooded with so many questions and we thank everyone for their contribution. We tried to pick the few best ones so that our readers can get a new insight into Jay Park, his music, and his first European Tour!

Kpopeurope:  Jay, you are a singer-songwriter, music producer, rapper, dancer, b-boy, choreographer, model and actor. In one word: multi-talented. How would you describe yourself as a person and how does this person differ from the artist behind the name “Jay Park”?

케이팝유럽: 제이, 당신은 싱어송라이터, 뮤직프로듀서, 랩퍼, 댄서, 비보이, 안무가, 모델 배우에요. 한마디로 다재다능한사람인데요. 본인을 한 사람으로 어떻해 묘사 하실수 있을가요 그리고 그 사람은  아티스트 제이팍과는 어떻해 다른지도?

Jay Park: As a person, I’m very loyal. I like to have fun and joke around. My family and friends are very important to me as well. My personality comes out in my music and it’s what I get to show people as an artist. I feel if you are an artist, it’s a given that your personality comes out in your art. For example I write most of my lyrics so they will link to my personal experiences.

재범: 한 인간으로써 저는 굉장히 믿음직하고 충직한사람이에요. 즐기며 살고 장난도 좋아하는 스타일이구요. 또한 제 가족과 친구들이 굉장히 제겐 굉장히 중요하구요. 제 성격은 제 음악을 통해 들어나요 그리고 그것이 아티스트로써 제가 사람들에게 보여줘야 하는거구요. 아티스트라면 작품을 통해서 본인의 성격이 드러나는건 분명한거같아요(어쩔수없는사실). 예를들어 제가 제 가사를 다 쓰는데 그럼 사람들은 제 개인적인 경험으로 연관 시킬거에요.

Kpopeurope: You are working as a solo artist in a world full of groups. Is it difficult for you to make your way on your own?

케이팝유럽: 당신은 그룹들이 많은 시대에 솔로로 하고 있는데  혼자 본인만의 길을 가는데 어려움은 없나요?

Jay Park: No not at all. It’s actually better for me because I’m able to stand out more since I am a solo artist that has full creative control.

재범: 아뇨 전혀요. 사실 저는 더 좋아요 왜냐면 제가 모든 창작의 자유가 있는 솔로아티스트이기에 더 눈에 띨수 있어요.

Kpopeurope: Your latest online single “I LIKE 2 PARTY” was a huge success on several iTunes Charts worldwide. What came to your mind when you heard about this achievement for the first time?

케이팝유럽: 당신의 최신 싱글 알라투파리가 세계적으로 많은 나라의 아이툰스 챠트에서 큰 성공을 거뒀어요. 첨 들었을때 어떤생각이 들던가요?

(아 내 개인적으로 계탄날 ㅋㅋㅋㅋ )

Jay Park: Of course I felt good because people are enjoying and listening to the songs that I write.
It always feels good when you put hard work into something and people acknowledge and appreciate it.

재범: 물론 너무 좋았죠. 사람들이 제가 만든 음악을 좋아하고 듣는다는거자나요. 열심히 일한 결과물을 사람들이 인정해주고 좋은평가 해줄떄 항상 기분이 좋죠.

Kpopeurope: We know that you are a music producer and songwriter among others. However, how
much are you exactly involved in producing your songs and albums? Also, we are wondering which factors are crucial in deciding which songs will finally make it into an album and which not. Can you tell us more about this producing process?

케이팝유럽: 당신이 많은 뮤직프로듀서 그리고 싱어송 라이트중 한명이라고 알고 있습니다. 그런데 당신의 음악과 앨범에 정확히 얼만큼 관여하는지요? 또한 최종적으로 앨범에 실리는곡들이 어떤 중요한 원인(이유)로 결정되는지 안되는건 또 왜 안되는건지, 그리고 제작과정에 대해 좀 더 얘기해 주실수 있나요?

Jay Park: As for the production of the entire album, I’m 100% responsible. But as for each individual track, I work with a number of producers. I don’t make beats, but I make melodies, harmonies, write lyrics and so forth. As for which songs make into an album, it’s just whatever song that comes out good. I always want to give people the best quality music.

재범: 앨범제작의 총괄적인 책임에 관해선  제가 100% 가지고 있습니다. 하지만 곡 하나하나 많은들에 관해선 프로듀서들과 같이 작업합니다. 전 비트를 만들지는 않고 멜로디, 화음, 가사  등을  만듭니다. 어떤곡이 앨범에 실리냐는거에 관해서는, 어떤곡이던 잘 나온곡이 실립니다. 전 항상 사람들에게 최고의 질의 음악을 드리고 싶습니다.

Kpopeurope: How much are you involved in the production of your music videos? Are you the one who comes up with the concept behind it?

케이팝유럽: 뮤직비디오에는 얼마나 관여 하시는지요. 본인이 콘셉을 정하시나요?

Jay Park: I come up with references and ideas and I tell the directors what type of feel I want. Then they are responsible for the rest, and of course, I get final say when they edit. But all the directors I’ve worked with this year have been really dope and they’ve pretty much nailed it every time.

재범: 전 소스나 아이디어를 주구요 감독님에게 어떤느낌을 원하는지 말해요. 나머지는 그분들이 다 알아서 하시죠. 그리고 물론 제가 최종결정을 편집할떄 하구요. 하지만 제가 이번년도에 함꼐 일한 모든 감독님들은 정말 잘하시고 매번 다 성곡적으로 잘 하셨어요. 

Kpopeurope: You are working a lot with Dok2 and Cha Cha Malone. Is there any other artist,
from Korea or not, that you would like to collaborate with?

케이팝유럽: 도끼 그리고 차차와 많은 작업을 함꼐하는데요. 한국아티스트던 아님 한국이 아니더라도 같이 하고 싶은분이 게신가요

Jay Park: I would love to work with Zion T, Gray, Crush, and Zico.

재범: 자이언티, 그레이, 크러쉬 지코와 하고 싶어요.

Kpopeurope: Among all of your songs you have released so far, which one is the most meaningful to you and why? Is there a song you enjoy the most while performing live?

케이팝유럽:그동안 발표한 곡들 중에 가장 본인에게 의미있는곡은 어떤건지 또 그 이유는? 그리고 라이브할때 가장 좋아하는(즐기는)곡이 있다면?

Jay Park: I enjoy performing hot live because the crowd gets super turnt lol.  So for the most meaningful song, it would probably be this song I haven’t released yet, called ‘on and on’.  

재범: 핫 공연할때 관객들이 엄청 업되시는거 같아서 좋아요.  가장 의미있는곡은 아마  아직 공개 하지 않은곡  'on and on' 이란 곡이 될거에요.

Kpopeurope: You are about to kick-off your first European Tour in London, the United Kingdom, soon. What are your thoughts on this tour and have you ever imagined that you will embark on a worldwide tour one day?

케이팝유럽: 영국 런던에서 첫 유럽투어를 이제 곧 시작하시는데요 이번투어에 대한 생각과 언젠가 월드투어하시는걸 상상해 보신적 있는지도 

Jay Park: I can’t wait!! I’ve been saying that I’ve wanted to go to Europe and this is my first time ever so
I’m very hyped.  Back in high school, I would have never in a million years thought all this would happen. I’m very blessed and VERY thankful to everyone who supports!

재범: 너무 기대되요. 그동안 유럽에 가고 싶다고 말해왔었고 이번에 생애첨 가보는거라서 엄청 흥분한상태에요. 고등학교때돌아보면, (지금일어나는 일들이) 절대 일어나지 않을 꿈같은 일이였어요. 전 정말 복받았고 절 응원해주시는 여러분들에게 너무 감사해요

Kpopeurope: Speaking of the European tour, why is it that you have decided to work with two different organizers for this tour? How will the concert concept differ between the two?

케이팝유럽: 유럽투어말인데요 왜 다른 두 프로모터와 하시게 된건지요 두개의 콘서트의 컨셉이 어떻해 다른지요?

Jay Park: We had already agreed to do the France show and afterwards the other promoter asked usif we were down to do three cities in Europe so that’s why it’s two different promoters. The Concept is the same with every show, which is ‘KILL the stage and ENTERTAIN the people.’    

재범: 이미 프랑스 프로모터와 얘기가 끝난상태에서 나중에 다른 프로모터가 유럽에 다른 도시 3개에 와줄수 있냐고 물어왔어요 그래서 두군데와 하게 된거에요. 컨셉은 '멋지게 무대하고 관객들을 즐겁게 한다' 는 컨셉으로 모든공연이 같습니다

Kpopeurope: Why did you pick the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Germany and France in the first place?

케이팝유럽: 영국 네덜랜드 독일 프랑스를 맨먼저 뽑은 이유는?

Jay Park: You are going to have to ask to the promoters about that. I’m just very happy I get to go to EUROPE for the first time and see all my EUROPEAN FANS!!

재범: 그건 프로모터에게 물어보셔야할거에요. 전 그냥 유럽에 난생 첨으로 가게됐다는거 그리고 유럽팬들을 만난다는게 너무 행복합니다.

Kpopeurope: Have you ever been to Europe? What first comes to your mind when you hear the word “Europe”?

케이팝유럽: 유럽에 가보신적 있나요? 유럽 이란 단어를 들었을때 가장 먼저 떠오르는 생각은? (인터뷰어 바부...계속 첨이라고 애기했건만 ㅋㅋ)

Jay Park: No I have not and first thing that comes to mind is FASHION and SEXY LADIES.

재범: 아뇨 가본적 없어요. 첨 떠오르는 생각은 패션 그리고 섹시한 여자분들 

Kpopeurope: What do you expect from your European Jwalkerz and your concerts here in Europe? Also, do you think that European Jwalkerz will differ in some aspects from Asian Jwalkerz?

케이팝유럽: 유럽제이워커즈분들과 여기 유럽에서 하는공연에 대해 어떤걸 바라나요? 또 유럽 제이워커즈 들은 아시아 제이워커들이 어떤면에서 다를거 같나요?

Jay Park: I expect them to have fun and the show. We will see how they differ!

재범: 제가 바라는건 공연을 재밌게 즐겨주셨으면 좋겠어요. (유럽팬들이) 어떻게 다른지는 보자구요!  (당연히 봐야지 어떻해 다른걸 알지 역시 똑쟁이 ㅋㅋ)

Kpopeurope: Do you have any special message for your European Jwalkerz and Kpoeurope.eu-readers?

케이팝유럽: 유럽제이워커스분들과 케이팝유럽 독자들에게 전하고 싶은 특별한 메세지가 있다면?

Jay Park: THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR LOVE AND SUPPORT!! SEE YOU SOON. AOMG FOLLOW THE MOVEMENT!!

재범: 여러분의 사랑과 지지에 정말 감사드립니다. 곧 뵈요~ AOMG FOLLOW THE MOVEMENT!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

싱가폴 스카잎 내용 발해석 (출처 싱가폴 제이워커스 공식 계정 튓)

Brief Transcript of what happened in the SG Skype Call with Jay.

MC: Do you still remember the Singlish you learnt in January? 
JAY: The only thing i rmb is 'play play', that's all, but i mean you guys can teach me

엠씨:저번 1월에 배우셨던 싱글리쉬 아직도 기억하시나요?

재범: 유일하게 기억하는건 'play play' 밖에 없어요. 그게 다에요. 여러분이 갈켜주세요

MC: Which Jay Park song gave a deep impression on yourself?
JAY: *starts laughing* whaaaaat? A deep impression of myself hur hur~ This may be music in general but like.. if i listen back to my old songs, i see how much i've grown as an artist and musically, you know like rapping wise or whatever whatever.. it's just like making music in general has made a deep impression on me. 

엠씨: 어떤 제이팍 음악이 본인에게 강한감동을 주는지?

재범: *막 웃음* 네????  저자신한테 강한감동이요????허허~  아마 모든 음악이 그럴거에요 하지만 예를들어 제가 제 예전음악을 들으면 제가 아티스트로써 음악적으로 얼마나 성장했는지 알수있어요 랩이나 모든게 다요.....일반적으로 음악을 만드는게 저에겐 큰감동인거 같아요. 

MC: Since ChaCha and Hep were on the car together can you pick one over the other? 
JAY: I can't do that... they're both here.. hahah ask me in private! 
엠씨: 헵과 차차가 같이 차에 타고 있으니까 둘중에 한명만 뽑아주신다면

재범: 그렇게 못해요 ...둘다 여기 있으니까 .... 하하하 나중에 몰래 물어봐주세요

MC: If both ChaCha and Hep were drowning, who will you save first?
JAY: Oh... we all know how to swim~ haha

엠씨: 만약에 차차와 헵이 둘다 물에 빠지면 누구를 먼저 구하실건지요

재범: 오.... 우리는 다 수영할줄 알아요 ~ 하하

MC: Will you pierce your eyebrows like Hep?
JAY: hahaha no i will not, cause Hep already did it. If i were to pierce something else it will probably be my tongue or something..

엠씨: 헵처럼 눈썹에 피어싱 하실건가요?

재범: 하하하 아뇨 헵이 먼저 했으니까 안해요. 만약 다른곳에 한다면 아마 혀나 그런데 할거에요.

MC: Lady GaGa or Katy Perry?
JAY: Probably Katy Perry.. iono just based on looks i would say Katy Perry.. Lady GaGa.. be wearing meat but.. haha
엠씨: 레이디가가 아님 케이리 페뤼?

재범: 아마도 케이리 페뤼... 모르겠어요 그냥 외관상 아마 케이리 페뤼일거임. 레이디가가...는 고기로 만든옷 입지만....하하 

Fan shouted: Miley Cyrus or Selena Gomez? (other fans were like huh what what?)
JAY: Someone asked me i heard it~ Okay first up.. Miley Cyrus is just kinda weird these days... but you know definitely Selena Gomez. 
(fans started mentioning Justin Bieber in the background)
JAY: Do i wanna be Justin Bieber? 
Fans: Noooooo
JAY: Is that the question? Do i wanna be Justin Bieber? 
Fans: Noooooooooooooo~
JAY: I would love to be Justin Bieber
Fans: Noooooo
JAY: He's a talented man (i think he is laughing cause of the fans reaction)

팬이 소리지르심: 마일리 싸이러스 아님 셀레나 고메즈? (나머지 팬들이 막 허...왓왓? 그러심)

재범: 누가 물어본거 들었어요 오케이~ 먼저 마일리 싸이러스는 요새 좀 이상해요 ... 하지만 당연히 셀레나 고메즈죠 

(팬들이 뒤에서 저스틴비버에 대해 맨션들 하기 시작하심)

재범: 저스틴 비버가 되고 싶냐구요??

팬들: 아니요요요요요요요

재범: 제가 저스틴 비버가 된다면 넘 좋겠어요

팬들: 안되요요요요요요요

재범: 재능이 많은 친구에요 (팬들의 리액션에 웃으신거 같음)

Fan: Can you please do aegyo for us? 

JAY: Oh my Gosh.. no I can't...*hesitates* next time i go to Singapore.. 
Fans: Now~
JAY: Next time i go to Singapore~ Maybe. We'll see~ hahaha

팬: 저희를 위해 애교좀 보여주실수 있나요?

재범: 오마이 가쉬~ 안되요 못해요. *망설이심* 담번에 싱가폴에 가면...

팬들: 지금요~

재범: 담에 싱가폴가면 ~ 혹시...보자구요 하하하하하

Fan: We will give you free Gong Cha(bubble tea brand) when you come~
(Jay doesn't get it)
Fan: Free bubble tea
JAY: What? Free bubble tea when i go? You guys want me to buy you bubble tea when i go to Singapore?
Fans: nono WE will buy you bubble tea if you do aegyo for us now~
JAY: Oh you buy ME bubble tea~ aw naw i don't want bubble tea anymore~ laughs hahaha
Fans: Just doooo it~
JAY: Just do it~ you guys work for Nike? haha

팬: 저희가 담에 오시면 공차? (버블티 브랜드) 드릴게요

(박재범 못알아 들으심)

팬: 무료 버블티요

재범: 네? 담에 가면 무료 버블티를 주신다구요? 아님 제가 담에 가면 여러분꼐 버블티는 사달라는 거에요?

팬들: 아뇨아뇨 저희가 사드린다구요 만약에 애교 지금 보여 주시면~

재범: 오 저를 사주신다구요 ~ 오 됐어요 이젠 버블티 안좋아해요 ~ 웃으심 하하하하하

팬들: 그냥 하세요~

재범: Just do it~ 다들 나이키에서 일하세요? 하하 (박사장 센스쩔어 ㅋㅋㅋㅋ)

JAY: Anyways~ i gottta get to this airport right now, Thank you very much for you know for your love and support~ When was the last time i saw you guys.. like um January? 
Fans: Yes.... no May~!! For xmini!
JAY: OH YEA xmini~!! it hasn't even been that long right? Xmini was very short thou.. just a few songs.. 
Fans: yea... you should come back~
JAY: Yea i definitely wanna come back, i love Singapore.. But anyways.. Thank you for everything~ Don't Play Play(singlish) with the Aegyo~ and um.. I'll see yall next time okay? AOMG~ Say Byebye(brings camera to ChaCha and Hep) Peace!

재범: 아무튼 지금 공항 가야해서요. 사랑과 지지에 넘 감사하구요 언제 마지막으로 봤죠 ...음 저번 1월 이죠?

팬들: 네~ 아니 5월에요 엑스미니땜에

재범: 아 맞다 엑스미니! 그렇게 오래 안됬네요 그죠? 엑스미니(방문)는 넘 짧았어요 몇곡만 (불렀다는듯)

팬들: 맞아요 다시 오셔야해요

재범: 네 당연히 가고 싶어요. 싱가폴 좋아해요~ 하지만 암튼... 모든거에 감사해요. 애교로 장난 하지 말아요 ~ 그리고 음... 다들 나중에 뵈요 오케이? 바이바이~ (하시면서 차차랑 헵도 비춰주심) 피수!